Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Voice In My Sewing Machine

Has is it really been more than 35 years since we sat at your kitchen table sewing?  We made prom dresses, skirts, shorts.  You taught me to match plaids, sew in zippers, make button holes.  You taught me patience.  You made me brave the hard things.  I can still hear you saying to me, "You can do this Billsy."  I got the difficult patterns.  You made them easy.

For many years I didn't sew.  Just a few months ago, I decided to start again.  At first it was a daunting endeavor.  I couldn't remember the tricks, the shortcuts, the things that make homemade look professional.  It was a struggle.  One day, in the midst of confusion and frustration, a quiet and reassuring voice seemed to come from inside my sewing machine.  "It's going to be just fine, Baby Girl.   You can do this, Billsy."  When I hear your voice, I see your hands moving across my fabric.  I draw from your knowledge and talent and the garment I'm working on flows together.  I know that when I go downstairs to my sewing machine, your memory will be there waiting to encourage me and to be proud of my accomplishments.

All these years, I never forgot you but never has your memory been so clear.  I look forward to tomorrow when once again I will feel your memory cover me with confidence and I will hear your voice in my heart.  "You can do this, Billsy".  And I sure can.

Thank you for all those evenings so many years ago.  Thank you for your time and your encouragement.  Thank you for your love.  Thank you for staying with me all these years.  I wish you were here so I could tell you how I loved you then and now.    And yes, Mrs. Slack,  Baby Girl sure can.

Love,
Billsy

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Mark. Mrs. Slack has been on my heart so much lately, I needed to say something about it.

    ReplyDelete