Friday, March 25, 2011

My Sister the Sunglasses Fashonista

That's my little sister, the one on the right, in her St. Patrick's Day get-up.  Cute as a button, isn't she?  She looks the same as she did ten years ago, twenty years ago, thirty years ago.....  It must be from shielding herself from harsh lights when she was a little girl.  It's the only thing I can figure.  Let me explain.

I am seven years older.  I remember more than my sister wishes, I'm sure.  Mornings at our house were special.  Mother was up early, getting ready for work, getting everything ready for us to go to school and preparing our breakfast.  When it was time to get up, I was UP.  Mother would come to the door, flip on the overhead light and call me.  "BILLIE!  Time to get up."  (This perhaps has a lot to do with my life-long aversion to overhead lighting.)  Then it was my sister's turn.  Bright lights?  No.  A lamp, far away from her bed was turned on very low.  Mother would coo for my sister, walk over to her bed and give her the sunglasses placed on the nightstand before she went to bed the night before.  Black framed, old-lady sunglasses clamped firmly on her head, my sister would drag herself out of bed and to the breakfast table. 

Every morning, there we sat.  Well, there I sat.  My little sister was so far down in her chair, it could hardly be called sitting.  Those sunglasses, firmly in place so no light could get to her eyes.  I remember finding this very irritating.  Now I wish those days were back again.

I threatened to write this about my sister so she proclaimed herself to be a sunglasses fashionista.  And so she is, to this day.  Look at her!  So young and so CUTE!  I should have worn shades in the mornings.....

3 comments:

  1. I must be more careful with my spelling! FASHIONISTA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. .... my daughters are 7 years apart, too.

    It wasn't "planned" like that, but the older they both get, the more I think it was just the perfect timing.

    Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mark! I remember thinking that my sister was the bain of my existence when we were growing up. Now, I just miss her all the time because she lives in Atlanta. She's precious and I love her to death.

    ReplyDelete