Friday, March 18, 2011

Rubber-Toed Keds

 What makes little things pop into our minds?  While running an early morning errand, I remembered my excitement each Spring when it was time to buy rubber-toed Keds for my daughter, a pair in each color.  Red.  White. And blue.  I couldn't wait to put them on her with her very white socks and to keep the laces bleached snowy white.  I bought a pair for my daughter's daughter when she was barely walking and felt like I had stepped back in time.  I thought every little girl should wear them.  I remember my daughter not being nearly as excited as I about the new shoes.  Generational, I suppose.
I love Keds.  Haven't had a pair in a very long time.  To me, that new pair of white Keds always meant Spring had arrived.  But with the new Keds came extra work, keeping them clean and white.  Without fail, someone would run over my foot with a cart the first time I wore them grocery shopping, or step on my foot.  But I stayed true to my love affair with the white Keds, scrubbing the canvas and bleaching the laces until finally they frayed and came apart. 
My  warm weather shoe wardrobe was complete with a new pair of white Keds and 99 cent flip-flops in various colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment