Friday, March 18, 2011

The Fixer

For as long as I can remember, I have been the self-designated fixer.  If I care about you and you're broken, I try to fix you.  An exercise in futility if there ever was one.  In recent years, I have tried to break myself of this habit.  You know, the physician heal thyself mentality.....  I've done a good job loving my people and allowing them to be broken and fix themselves since I "fixed" myself. 
Today, between grocery shopping, cleaning and all the other things I do everyday, three loved ones crossed my path who have a few cracks in them.  One, the cracks are deep, very deep and absolutely cannot be repaired by anyone but the loved one.  Just as I was about to provide my solution, I caught myself.  No, Self!  Don't do it!  So I mustered the strength to tell Loved One #1 that I understand the problem and have witnessed other loved ones struggling with the same demons.  But.  But, LO #1 will have to find it in himself to fix himself.   Oh, what a hard thing to do when I really wanted to say I would be there as quickly as possible to tell him exactly the steps to take.  So, now I am hard at work at the second job I thought I had quit., worrying.
Before I could get my worry on good for LO #1, LO #'s 2 and 3 appeared, obviously in need of some minor tinkering.  I reminded myself again that I no longer try to fix people and stayed quiet.  Now, if I can figure out how not to pull a double shift of worrying.

No comments:

Post a Comment